• What is a trademark?

    According to the US Patent and Trademark Office, “a trademark includes any word, name, symbol, or device, or any combination used, or intended to be used, in commerce to identify and distinguish the goods of one manufacturer or seller from goods manufactured or sold by others, and to indicate the source of the goods.” View Auburn’s trademarks and brand elements

  • My trademark use request concept has been approved for campus use. What now?

    You should have received an email approving your request with a link to licensees approved to service campus groups. If you lost it, here it is.

  • My college and/or department has a specific program name/logo we would like to protect, do we need a federal registration with the United States Patent and Trademark Office in order to protect the program name/logo from usage by others?

    No. In the United States, parties are not required to register their marks to obtain protectable rights. You can establish “common law” rights in a mark based solely on use of the mark in commerce, without a registration. However, owning a federal trademark registration on the Principal Register provides a number of significant advantages over common law rights alone, including:

    • A legal presumption of your ownership of the mark and your exclusive right to use the mark nationwide on or in connection with the goods/services listed in the registration (whereas a state registration only provides rights within the borders of that one state, and common law rights exist only for the specific area where the mark is used);
    • Public notice of your claim of ownership of the mark;
    • Listing in the USPTO’s online databases;
    • The right to use the federal registration symbol “® ”;
    • The ability to bring an action concerning the mark in federal court; and
    • The use of the U.S. registration as a basis to obtain registration in foreign countries.(Information from uspto.gov)

    Sometimes a registration in the State of Alabama will be enough to protect the mark for the intended use. For more information about federal trademark registration, including fee structure, click here.

  • I am making a handmade item for myself, family member or friend but won’t sell the item. Do I need a license?

    If you are making an item yourself that will not be sold or used for commercial purposes, you do not need a license.

  • How do I know if a product is officially licensed by Auburn University?

    Look for the label! Product that has been approved and licensed by Auburn University will bear the Officially Licensed Collegiate Products label or hangtag. To ensure that you are purchasing merchandise that is AU-thentic and supports the University’s scholarship programs, look for the label before you buy. Find out more here. Report potentially unlicensed product here.

  • Does Auburn have a Crafter's program?

    Currently, Auburn University does not offer a Crafter’s licensing program. All licensees must go through the Collegiate Licensing Company or Auburn’s Artist Licensing Program (very limited products allowed). Find out how to get licensed.

  • Do I need a license to use War Eagle?

    In order to manufacture product using “War Eagle” or any other Auburn Trademark, the company or individual must be licensed or source product from an Auburn licensee.

  • Can I use an Auburn logo on a memorial?

    Yes. Auburn provides royalty-free authorizations for individuals and families who would like to use the Auburn logo on a headstone, urn, mausoleum plaque or other memorials. Please submit your request here.

  • Can I paint or install a mural using Auburn University buildings and logos in my business?

    No. A permanent painting of Auburn University buildings, logos, mascots or other brand elements in an off-campus building implies a formal relationship between Auburn University and that entity. For information on partnering with Auburn Athletics, contact Auburn Sports Properties.

  • Can I order an Auburn mask?

    Information about masks, gaiters and all officially licensed Auburn University face coverings can be found at licensing.auburn.edu/masks. There is information there for employees, students and the public.

  • Can I get a letter authorizing a bakery to use Auburn's trademarks on a cake?

    Yes, for a one-time licensing fee of $25. Please fill out this form.

  • Auburn Tigers vs. War Eagle: does Auburn have two mascots?

    Auburn does not have two mascots. Auburn’s athletics teams are the Tigers and the mascot’s name is Aubie. War Eagle is Auburn’s battle cry and the symbol is a live golden eagle named Aurea, or War Eagle VIII, who lives at the Southeaster Raptor Center in Auburn University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. At the beginning of each football game, an eagle circles Jordan-Hare Stadium to the cries of “Warrrrrrrrr Eagle, Hey!” from fans.